Good mouth to lung tanks

General chit chat about e-cigs! Please announce new products in the Deals and product announcement forum which is here viewforum.php?f=23
StanR

Re: Good mouth to lung tanks

Post by StanR »

Trial and error... although getting the wicking down pat makes the window of success a lot wider. Thing is, I don't have your draw (not just how tight you have it set, but how hard you actually pull, etc. - see Matt Culley's video about why some people always seem to have leaking issues or dry hits while others don't), so I can't give you anything that'll be "just right" by remote control. I keep the tank pretty much closed off air-wise, but I tend to use a more relaxed draw, so I can keep the juice flow quite open. At the same time, while I tend to use TC, I need to keep my wattage-mode settings lower than a lot of people seem to like using - 14-15 watts would be awfully burny with my draw. 12's kinda pushing it for me, in fact; much more than that and... well, I'm not getting what you could call a dry hit, but the flavour is telling me that the juice is wa-a-ay overheated. That's down to my draw.

EDIT: You may find that opening the JFC in stages helps. Just crack it to where it needs to be right after a fill, then open it a bit wider later once the wick has sort of sorted itself out a bit.

The real upshot is that you can ever only take other people's suggestions as a starting point, especially at the MTL end of the scale. There's only so much variation to be had at the "you can breathe through it" end of the vape world, but you can easily get a 1000% variation in tightness, power, juice flow (not just the settings, but the actual viscosity) and draw in the MTL world without stepping outside of the boundaries. (As an example, I was very glad to hear that Phil Busardo thinks the Berserker is just a little too tight for him wide open, but it otherwise great so far. There's no denying that he's an MTL vaper, but he likes things a lot looser than I do. If wide open is a little tighter than "way too loose for me", I should be able to find a good draw. Of course, I'll need to go mod-shopping if I end up falling in love, but...)
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Thanks, Stan.

Figured it was a trial an error thing. I've never used a tank with JFC before, so I find myself always wondering if it's set right and, then, fiddling with it. A little OCD. lol

You and I vape fairly similar, I think. Fairly tight, relaxed draw and I'm usually in the 9-10 watts range.
StanR

Post by StanR »

Okay, it's been a couple of weeks now, and I'm really liking the Berserker. Fair warning up front: it's going to be way, way, way too tight for a lot of people, even when opened up all the way. Luckily, that isn't a problem for me - I've been rocking it on its smallest (0.8mm) hole most of the time and finding that to be just about perfect. And nearly silent as well.

No special build: 8 wraps of 28-gauge/0.32mm on 2.5mm. With the 0.8mm hole, works really well in the 8-10 watt range, depending on your draw and the temperature your juice likes. You'd need to increase the power slightly with every larger air-hole choice; call it a watt a hole or thereabouts.

The chamber is small and well-controlled, but seems to be a lot less "burny" than the Kayfun Mini V3. (I'm finding I don't need to re-wick nearly as often. The Mini V3 is good for 6-10ml at best unless you're vaping flavourless, and some juices meant re-wicking every other 2ml tankful - if you could make it through that second tankful. The deck and chamber on the Berserker are very similar - only very slightly larger - but 20ml of heavy custard leaves things in a state of "you know, I should probably re-wick that" rather than "OMG that's disgusting - but it explains what I was tasting, LOL".) The 2ml chamber is a little hotter than the 4.5ml, and a bit "brighter" in flavour balance; it will likely work well with most tobaccos and straight-up fruits. (It actually approaches a proper mesh Genesis hitting the highs without the bass notes falling away completely like they do with a Gennie.) Both chambers give flavour that is at least on par with the best "true MTL" tanks out there, but they're balanced a little differently. And at these draws and power levels, 2ml can be a reasonable choice if that tank/chamber/chimney is better for your juice.

It's nice to be back to sipping juice and having an 18650 outlast the day. The only real negative is that it doesn't sit well on a 22mm mod, which is a bit of a bummer. I haven't found a single-18650 (or 20700/21700/26650) regulated 24mm mod that I really like, and a dual-battery mod is simply overkill. Non-stop shopping - that's what vaping's all about :lol:
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Good write up, Stan.

I've been using mine for a few days or so. The first couple days, no issues. After a rewick, though, I started to get some gurgling etc. I think the wicking really needs to be nailed in this, although it LOOKS like it would be forgiving.

While I was initially impressed with the flavour (Using Turkish from Yaeliq...haven't tried my own tobaccos yet), I'm starting to think the SXK Doggystyle is beating it. But, I just rewicked again a few hours ago, so we'll see. Haven't tried the larger chimney/tank yet, either.

They NAILED the airflow, though. I've been using the 2nd smallest hole most of the time. I have noticed, however, that there is a flaw with the AFC ring (at least on mine). The airflow can't be entirely shut down due to a "micro gap" between the ring and base. Air still seeps in regardless.

Overall, It's a very good tank, but the last couple of days has me doubting its longevity. Still too early to call it, though.

EDIT: I was so impressed the first day, though, that I went out and bought a Pico 25 to use with it (the original Pico is my main mod otherwise). Not as good looking as the original Pico, but it gets the job done. I have noticed the ohms bopping around ever so slightly, not sure if it's the mod or my build. Should test on another mod, I guess.
StanR

Post by StanR »

As near as I can figure, you're sort of meant to overstuff it a bit if you're using the smaller holes (let's say the 0.8mm and 1m holes). I'm using cotton that's a little bit tighter through the 2.5mm coil than I would have used in a Mini V3, and that seem to keep the gurgling at bay. At least if you turn the tank upside-down for the final tighten after refilling. A little too much cotton is usually a bad thing, but when the draw is very tight there's more than enough pressure differential to overcome the choking you'd get with a lighter draw/higher juice flow. But then, this is all "by feels", and there's no way to reliably quantify things so anybody can just say "do exactly this and you won't have any problems" unless you're sitting down with them and letting them feel what you're feeling.

As for the mod, I'm looking at the EVic Mini SE and the Sinuous P right now, while using an (older) asMODus VR Stride. I'd consider the Pico 25 as well, except that the Pico form factor doesn't work well with my Parkinson's. I wish it did; something more pocketable than the tall things I have to use would be nice. I'd really like to see a 24mm version of the Aster 75W, to tell the truth: same everything else, but thicker at the "tube". I've tried a 1mm-thick test wrapper that feels pretty good, but the way the battery door works makes that a less-than-perfect arrangement for something finished and not ugly. I'm starting to think it might be reasonable to have something made at this point. Lord knows I've put enough money into things that I almost like; why not spend a bit extra on something I know I'd really like? Still need stuff like the Pico 25 & friends to point other people to, though.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Yep. I've discovered with the way I vape, more cotton is better. So, generally overstuff as a general rule. Think I've used less than normal when I've had issues with the Berserker. The first time I wicked, no issues at all through a few refills.

That was my problem with mods as well...very few single 18650 mods I like. Almost none, really. I'm not even that much of a fan of the Pico 25, but it was the lesser of multiple evils.