Good mouth to lung tanks

General chit chat about e-cigs! Please announce new products in the Deals and product announcement forum which is here viewforum.php?f=23
StanR

Re: Good mouth to lung tanks

Post by StanR »

No,none... but I have a couple-three pretty good ideas about how you might get some. (And remember, I did point out that it will seep a bit when your wick is toast like all bottom-coilers will, so I'm leaving that out of the picture. If there's nothing there that can soak up the juice because the cotton is clogged, the juice still has to go somewhere.) I'll assume that you're wicking properly, since it's pretty easy to tell whether or not there's cotton covering the juice intakes.

One is not having the juice flow completely shut off when filling, either because it wasn't screwed down all the way, or because there's some small piece of stuff - cotton or whatever - between the bottom of the bell and the o-ring. The "detritus" scenario is pretty much self-fixing when you build next, but it's something to keep in mind. (Note: if the o-ring was missing or completely trashed, you'd have something worse that a little seeping to talk about.)

Another is over-filling the tank. If you fill too high, you'll generate a lot of pressure in the tank when you put the top cap back on. Leave about a millimetre below the bottom of the filling slots. It makes the difference between like 2 PSI positive pressure and 20-30 PSI positive pressure when you first open the juice flow. (That calms right down with the first couple of vapes, but what happens immediately makes a big difference.) You can also invert the tank before opening the JFC so that it's air rather than juice being forced into the chamber under pressure.

The third is having the juice flow control open too wide for the combination of your e-liquid and your draw. The tighter your draw, the harder your pull, and the thinner your juice, the less you should open the JFC. There's a bit of a balancing act there. Too much juice, and you risk flooding, especially when chain-vaping. Too little juice, and you're risking a dry hit.

Now, it's not the narrowest little slot that you need to hit with exacting precision or anything, just don't open the JFC any more than you need to - and you can get there quickly by taste. As Phil Busardo pointed out when airflow controls first became a thing: the AFC isn't just an AFC, it's also a JFC. Having a separate JFC that's actually a control rather than an on/off switch means that you can set both the draw you want and the juice flow you need with a vacuum-fed system, and for us mouth-to-lungers, there's a much larger variation in the draws we'll like than the direct-lungers need to worry about. Remember, there's a 1.8mm by 6mm airdisk in the kit (and the option to simply not use an airdisk), and the tank has to be able to feed "max VG" to people who think that's MTL at 35-40W with weirdo klepto-clapton coils. You're going to be generating considerably more negative pressure in the chamber with your draw, and you won't need nearly as much juice either, so if you're using their juice flow, you're going to get flooding and seeping.

I hope some of that helps. I'm really enjoying the tank, but I've worked with a lot of stuff that's a lot touchier and more frustrating by a long shot. The Skyline is just versatile in ways you need to understand and allow for; some of the older stuff was rocket surgery in the bed of an old pickup with bad shocks while having your teeth worked on and listening to Slim Whitman on a military-grade PA system... with a bad case of hemorrhoids.

You might want to wait for reviews of the Berserker (Vandy Vape). It's going to be strictly MTL, with about the same range of draws as the Nautilus Mini (0.8mm to 1.8mm hole equivalent). I don't know how it will be to fill, or if it'll gurgle/leak/seep, but at least it shows that some part of the mainstream/ordinary-joe industry is starting to think seriously about MTL again. That can't be a bad thing.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Awesome. Thanks a bunch, Stan. I'll consider all those.

One of the first things I did this morning was close the JFC completely, cleaned the AFC ring, took a few drags with JFC closed, then reopened the JFC just enough to see it begin wicking (I had it opened fully before). I'll have a look at it later.

I have a 1.1 ohm build in there and vape at around 10.5 watts. And a pretty tight draw. My preferred build seems to be about 1.3ohms, but messed up the wraps on this one.

One other thing that may be a possibility...I still see some threads showing where the chimney section screws down into the base. Either that's as it should be, or I didn't get it screwed in tight enough. Although, I don't see how I could have gotten it any tighter. When the tank is empty, I'll disassemble and have another look.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Decided to step away from the Skyline for a bit and give the SXK Doggystyle a try....

Surprisingly, I'm kinda impressed. The design and build is the most minimalist I've come across to date. It's super easy to wick and build. I haven't had to refill yet, but it's bottom fill method of removing the deck (think nautilus mini) might be a pain...or it may not. I still use the Nautilus fairly often and never had a complaint, although I prefer an easy to use top-fill.

The draw is very good and as tight as you like. Flavour is good due to a tiny domed chimney (but, hey, as I've said my taste buds are horrible). The tank is PC, but that's never bothered me.

Anyway, for the price of this little guy, it's a pretty darned good MTL....at least after 1/2 a tank. :)
StanR

Post by StanR »

"For the price of this little guy..." /me chuckles. The Animodz original is another one of those obscenely expensive things. I'm all for paying the price when it's worth the bother, but the Doggystyle is like the Pico: 150 euro for threaded plastic, plus another 40 if you want one to use with potential crackers (the ultem kit). Plus tax and shipping. No reason to expect that it won't be a good performer, but thank goodness for high-quality clones if "being rich" isn't on your list of hobby activities :D

If you've got either the SJMY or SXK version, you should be happy with it. Bummer that FT don't seem to stock replacement tanks; those threads will go eventually, no matter how careful you are. (I learned that expensive lesson with authentics.) Bottom fill is less of a pain than people make it out to be - you can't really cause a flood that way without putting in a lot of effort. I suppose it's different if you're going through 20ml a day or something. (The old Kayfun is different because you need to fill through a little hole that need a screwdriver in the Lite/Lite Plus or through a little valve that's gua-ran-teed to stick open at some point on the V3.x proper. There's no good way to bottom-fill otherwise since the chimney and chamber would come out with the base, pouring the juice out of the top.) The only problem is the wear on the plastic threads is unavoidable.

If you find it's a tank you really can live with, you might want to pick up a spare or two while they're still available - both SJMY and SXK have been on a bit of a discontinuation spree lately. (SJMY is now YFTK, and seem to be going into a different end of the business with a concentration on squonkers and mods, with only a couple of their most popular models still in production, and SXK has really chopped their SKU count over the summer. At least with "name" clones, there's a decent chance you'll get something that works well.) Sure, there's a chance that you may find something else you like before it's used up, but there's just as good a chance that you've found YOUR tank already. And that's the important part.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Well, not sure it's "THE" tank for me, but I'm pleasantly surprised considering I wasn't even going to try it after I received it and looked it over. lol.

And, FT actually does have spare tanks available for this one (SXK Doggystyle). I thew one on my order along with an extra for the Skyline.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/6588001
StanR

Post by StanR »

Ah, weird renaming. That's why it didn't turn up in a search. SXK usually gets weird with the threading, so I was specifically looking for an SXK version.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Had a look at the Berserker, Stan. If they nail it, it will be SO close to the tank I'm after. Only downside, for me, is the size...prefer a tank 23mm or smaller, but I could live with it.

By the way....since I adjusted the JFC on the Skyline, no more seeping. ;)
StanR

Post by StanR »

Good to hear, Shane.

I have a strong preference for 22s myself, but I'm noticing that mods are starting to get fat as "normal" and 22mm mods are getting harder to find, so a 24-25mm atty probably won't look out of place, awkward or oversized going forward. At this point, I'm really only worried about the sort of things I can recommend to other people (unless something actually spectacular pops up, which I don't spend a lot of time planning for these days). If "the good, relatively cheap mod you can actually buy at the local B&M" is happy with a 24-25mm atty and there's a "good, relatively cheap atty I can buy at the same shop" that fits it, I want to know about it, even if it's not going to be a personal favourite.

You don't have to go back too far to find a time when you had a choice between utter crap that still managed to be kind of expensive (getting started with an eGo + silica CE4 kit could easily run you $125-150 in Canada) and dropping half a grand or more to try the stuff that was actually decent. These days you can get a pretty darned good cloud-chucking setup for the price of that eGo kit, but the pickings get awfully slim if you prefer MTL. It's a damnable shame there's not much in the way of affordable MTL gear that doesn't involve swimming in the murky waters of Chinese online retailers and clones.

So I definitely don't need the Berserker - I've already hit the official "too much vape gear" level, which I once thought was impossible - but I'm going to get one anyway, even if it's something I'm just going to give away.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

I still have a iStick Pico that I started with last year (along with the Nautilus Mini) that I use all my MTL tanks on. Haven't come across another small mod that I like as much. Of course, with that battery cap, 23mm is max. The Siren just squeaks on. If I get the Berserker and like it enough, I'll shop around for a small mod that fits it...maybe have a close look at the Pico 25.

Yeah, I think I switched to vaping at a good time. Many of the "kinks" in the industry were worked out at that point, by the sounds of it. I had tonnes of fairly decent cloud chucking gear to play with, but a couple of decent MTL setups for my MTL (which, of course, is 90% of my day). I've reached a point where I don't care if I ever get another DTL tank or a mod to go with it. I don't have many, but they all do pretty much the same thing now. I will, however, probably always spring for the newest MTL that might pop up.
ShaneR

Post by ShaneR »

Stan....

Still learning the ins and outs of the Skyline. That said, is there a "rule" for a proper juice flow control setting? I know if I have it wide open I'll get the seeping issue, but closed to0 tight I'll get (and think I did) a hint of a dry hit. Trial and error, I guess, but there's gotta be a better way....

Have it open about 1/2 way right now after a rewick.